Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cath-oh-lic

     Freshman year of college I was required to take a theology class called 'Understanding the Bible' in which we only had one book; The Catholic study Bible. This greatly confused me because obviously, as Catholics, we don't read the Bible, so a Catholic study Bible is a bit of an oximoron. (I was also confused because my University is Catholic affiliated and I didn't quite get how they didn't remember that we don't read the Bible. I may or may not have asked my Theology professor this, but he didn't really know what to make of me, nor could he figure out if I was kidding or not.)
 My sister Ellen once famously quoted 'It's not good for man to be alone' as being from Frankenstien and it's a known fact that the majority of my Bible knowledge is from the gospel of Matthew stemming from a production of Godspell I performed in senior year of high school. And most likely everyone in my family will follow in the footsteps of my older sister who chose the wedding of Canna as a reading for her wedding mass, because, let's be honest, it does have the word 'wedding' in the title.

I've kind of wondered for a bit though, why is it that every other christian denomination loves the Bible so much and we just don't read it? Why don't I have Bible quotes about family on the wall of my house or win arguments by pulling out Bible verses?

Ultimately in the end I got a B in understanding the Bible.
I could have gotten an A
But I didn't really do the assigned reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment